Acute phenol poisoning: A life-threatening hazard of chronic pain relief

Sachin Gupta, Guha Ashrith, Divay Chandra, Aditya Kumar Gupta, Kewin W. Finkel, Jayarama S. Guntupalli

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

19 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Background. Phenol (carbolic acid, a higher alcohol) has been used for local analgesic therapy for a long time. Several complications of phenol therapy can occur by exposure through inhalational, oral, and dermal routes. Renal and pulmonary toxicity arising from the exposure to injectable phenol, however, has only been reported in a few case reports. Case Presentation. A 50-year-old man inadvertently received 10 cc of 89% phenol injection. It resulted in the development of acute respiratory and renal failure requiring intubation and hemodialysis, respectively. He improved clinically with the recovery of renal function. However, the chest x-ray and CT scan showed persistent nodular pulmonary infiltrates which resolved by six months. Conclusion. We report here an unusual case of acute respiratory and acute renal failure following accidental overdose of phenol. The case highlights potential development of multiple organ failure with persistence of organ dysfunction, an unusual danger associated with the overdose of injectable phenol for neurolysis.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)250-253
Number of pages4
JournalClinical Toxicology
Volume46
Issue number3
DOIs
StatePublished - Mar 1 2008

Fingerprint

Phenol
Chronic Pain
Poisoning
Hazards
Acute Kidney Injury
Injections
Kidney
Lung
Multiple Organ Failure
Computerized tomography
Recovery of Function
Intubation
Respiratory Insufficiency
Toxicity
Analgesics
Renal Dialysis
Thorax
Alcohols
X-Rays
Recovery

Keywords

  • Acute
  • Adult
  • Kidney tubular necrosis
  • Pain
  • Phenol
  • Respiratory distress syndrome

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Toxicology

Cite this

Gupta, S., Ashrith, G., Chandra, D., Gupta, A. K., Finkel, K. W., & Guntupalli, J. S. (2008). Acute phenol poisoning: A life-threatening hazard of chronic pain relief. Clinical Toxicology, 46(3), 250-253. https://doi.org/10.1080/15563650701438888

Acute phenol poisoning : A life-threatening hazard of chronic pain relief. / Gupta, Sachin; Ashrith, Guha; Chandra, Divay; Gupta, Aditya Kumar; Finkel, Kewin W.; Guntupalli, Jayarama S.

In: Clinical Toxicology, Vol. 46, No. 3, 01.03.2008, p. 250-253.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Gupta, S, Ashrith, G, Chandra, D, Gupta, AK, Finkel, KW & Guntupalli, JS 2008, 'Acute phenol poisoning: A life-threatening hazard of chronic pain relief', Clinical Toxicology, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 250-253. https://doi.org/10.1080/15563650701438888
Gupta S, Ashrith G, Chandra D, Gupta AK, Finkel KW, Guntupalli JS. Acute phenol poisoning: A life-threatening hazard of chronic pain relief. Clinical Toxicology. 2008 Mar 1;46(3):250-253. https://doi.org/10.1080/15563650701438888
Gupta, Sachin ; Ashrith, Guha ; Chandra, Divay ; Gupta, Aditya Kumar ; Finkel, Kewin W. ; Guntupalli, Jayarama S. / Acute phenol poisoning : A life-threatening hazard of chronic pain relief. In: Clinical Toxicology. 2008 ; Vol. 46, No. 3. pp. 250-253.
@article{67ed97df175948baa0da36e3c7d6adbd,
title = "Acute phenol poisoning: A life-threatening hazard of chronic pain relief",
abstract = "Background. Phenol (carbolic acid, a higher alcohol) has been used for local analgesic therapy for a long time. Several complications of phenol therapy can occur by exposure through inhalational, oral, and dermal routes. Renal and pulmonary toxicity arising from the exposure to injectable phenol, however, has only been reported in a few case reports. Case Presentation. A 50-year-old man inadvertently received 10 cc of 89{\%} phenol injection. It resulted in the development of acute respiratory and renal failure requiring intubation and hemodialysis, respectively. He improved clinically with the recovery of renal function. However, the chest x-ray and CT scan showed persistent nodular pulmonary infiltrates which resolved by six months. Conclusion. We report here an unusual case of acute respiratory and acute renal failure following accidental overdose of phenol. The case highlights potential development of multiple organ failure with persistence of organ dysfunction, an unusual danger associated with the overdose of injectable phenol for neurolysis.",
keywords = "Acute, Adult, Kidney tubular necrosis, Pain, Phenol, Respiratory distress syndrome",
author = "Sachin Gupta and Guha Ashrith and Divay Chandra and Gupta, {Aditya Kumar} and Finkel, {Kewin W.} and Guntupalli, {Jayarama S.}",
year = "2008",
month = "3",
day = "1",
doi = "10.1080/15563650701438888",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "46",
pages = "250--253",
journal = "Clinical Toxicology",
issn = "1556-3650",
publisher = "Dekker",
number = "3",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Acute phenol poisoning

T2 - A life-threatening hazard of chronic pain relief

AU - Gupta, Sachin

AU - Ashrith, Guha

AU - Chandra, Divay

AU - Gupta, Aditya Kumar

AU - Finkel, Kewin W.

AU - Guntupalli, Jayarama S.

PY - 2008/3/1

Y1 - 2008/3/1

N2 - Background. Phenol (carbolic acid, a higher alcohol) has been used for local analgesic therapy for a long time. Several complications of phenol therapy can occur by exposure through inhalational, oral, and dermal routes. Renal and pulmonary toxicity arising from the exposure to injectable phenol, however, has only been reported in a few case reports. Case Presentation. A 50-year-old man inadvertently received 10 cc of 89% phenol injection. It resulted in the development of acute respiratory and renal failure requiring intubation and hemodialysis, respectively. He improved clinically with the recovery of renal function. However, the chest x-ray and CT scan showed persistent nodular pulmonary infiltrates which resolved by six months. Conclusion. We report here an unusual case of acute respiratory and acute renal failure following accidental overdose of phenol. The case highlights potential development of multiple organ failure with persistence of organ dysfunction, an unusual danger associated with the overdose of injectable phenol for neurolysis.

AB - Background. Phenol (carbolic acid, a higher alcohol) has been used for local analgesic therapy for a long time. Several complications of phenol therapy can occur by exposure through inhalational, oral, and dermal routes. Renal and pulmonary toxicity arising from the exposure to injectable phenol, however, has only been reported in a few case reports. Case Presentation. A 50-year-old man inadvertently received 10 cc of 89% phenol injection. It resulted in the development of acute respiratory and renal failure requiring intubation and hemodialysis, respectively. He improved clinically with the recovery of renal function. However, the chest x-ray and CT scan showed persistent nodular pulmonary infiltrates which resolved by six months. Conclusion. We report here an unusual case of acute respiratory and acute renal failure following accidental overdose of phenol. The case highlights potential development of multiple organ failure with persistence of organ dysfunction, an unusual danger associated with the overdose of injectable phenol for neurolysis.

KW - Acute

KW - Adult

KW - Kidney tubular necrosis

KW - Pain

KW - Phenol

KW - Respiratory distress syndrome

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=40849140798&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=40849140798&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1080/15563650701438888

DO - 10.1080/15563650701438888

M3 - Article

C2 - 17852157

AN - SCOPUS:40849140798

VL - 46

SP - 250

EP - 253

JO - Clinical Toxicology

JF - Clinical Toxicology

SN - 1556-3650

IS - 3

ER -