Clinical model to predict survival in chemonaive patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer treated with third-generation chemotherapy regimens based on Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group data

Tien Hoang, Ronghui Xu, Joan H. Schiller, Philip Bonomi, David H. Johnson

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

182 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Purpose: (1) Identify clinical factors that can be used to predict survival in chemotherapy-naive patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC) treated with third-generation chemotherapy regimens, and (2) build a clinical model to predict survival in this patient population. Patients and Methods: Using data from two randomized, phase III Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group (ECOG) trials (E5592/E1594), we performed univariate and multivariate stepwise Cox regression analyses to identify survival prognostic factors. We used 75% of randomly sampled data to build a prediction model for survival, and the remaining 25% of data to validate the model. Results: From 1993 to 1999, 1,436 patients with stage IV or IIIB NSCLC with effusion were treated with platinum-based doublets (involving either paclitaxel, docetaxel, or gemcitabine). The response rate and median survival time were 20% and 8.2 months, respectively. One- and 2-year survivals were 33% and 11%, respectively. In multivariate analysis, six independent poor prognostic factors were identified: skin metastasis (hazard ratio [HR], 1.88), lower performance status (ECOG 1 or 2; HR, 1.46), loss of appetite (HR, 1.62), liver metastasis (HR, 1.32), > four metastatic sites (HR, 1.20), and no prior surgery (HR, 1.16). A nomogram using six pretreatment prognostic factors was built to predict 1- and 2-year survival. Conclusion: Six pretreatment factors can be used to predict survival in chemotherapy-naive NSCLC patients treated with standard chemotherapy. Using our prognostic nomogram, 1- and 2-year survival probability of NSCLC patients can be estimated before treatment. This prognostic model may help clinicians and patients in clinical decision making, as well as investigators in research planning.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)175-183
Number of pages9
JournalJournal of Clinical Oncology
Volume23
Issue number1
DOIs
StatePublished - Jan 1 2005

Fingerprint

Non-Small Cell Lung Carcinoma
Drug Therapy
Survival
Nomograms
docetaxel
gemcitabine
Neoplasm Metastasis
Appetite
Paclitaxel
Platinum
Multivariate Analysis
Survival Rate
Regression Analysis
Research Personnel
Skin
Liver
Research
Population

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Cancer Research
  • Oncology

Cite this

@article{3adc46fd314d4c9a8ece237a5c5e7bab,
title = "Clinical model to predict survival in chemonaive patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer treated with third-generation chemotherapy regimens based on Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group data",
abstract = "Purpose: (1) Identify clinical factors that can be used to predict survival in chemotherapy-naive patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC) treated with third-generation chemotherapy regimens, and (2) build a clinical model to predict survival in this patient population. Patients and Methods: Using data from two randomized, phase III Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group (ECOG) trials (E5592/E1594), we performed univariate and multivariate stepwise Cox regression analyses to identify survival prognostic factors. We used 75{\%} of randomly sampled data to build a prediction model for survival, and the remaining 25{\%} of data to validate the model. Results: From 1993 to 1999, 1,436 patients with stage IV or IIIB NSCLC with effusion were treated with platinum-based doublets (involving either paclitaxel, docetaxel, or gemcitabine). The response rate and median survival time were 20{\%} and 8.2 months, respectively. One- and 2-year survivals were 33{\%} and 11{\%}, respectively. In multivariate analysis, six independent poor prognostic factors were identified: skin metastasis (hazard ratio [HR], 1.88), lower performance status (ECOG 1 or 2; HR, 1.46), loss of appetite (HR, 1.62), liver metastasis (HR, 1.32), > four metastatic sites (HR, 1.20), and no prior surgery (HR, 1.16). A nomogram using six pretreatment prognostic factors was built to predict 1- and 2-year survival. Conclusion: Six pretreatment factors can be used to predict survival in chemotherapy-naive NSCLC patients treated with standard chemotherapy. Using our prognostic nomogram, 1- and 2-year survival probability of NSCLC patients can be estimated before treatment. This prognostic model may help clinicians and patients in clinical decision making, as well as investigators in research planning.",
author = "Tien Hoang and Ronghui Xu and Schiller, {Joan H.} and Philip Bonomi and Johnson, {David H.}",
year = "2005",
month = "1",
day = "1",
doi = "10.1200/JCO.2005.04.177",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "23",
pages = "175--183",
journal = "Journal of Clinical Oncology",
issn = "0732-183X",
publisher = "American Society of Clinical Oncology",
number = "1",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Clinical model to predict survival in chemonaive patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer treated with third-generation chemotherapy regimens based on Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group data

AU - Hoang, Tien

AU - Xu, Ronghui

AU - Schiller, Joan H.

AU - Bonomi, Philip

AU - Johnson, David H.

PY - 2005/1/1

Y1 - 2005/1/1

N2 - Purpose: (1) Identify clinical factors that can be used to predict survival in chemotherapy-naive patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC) treated with third-generation chemotherapy regimens, and (2) build a clinical model to predict survival in this patient population. Patients and Methods: Using data from two randomized, phase III Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group (ECOG) trials (E5592/E1594), we performed univariate and multivariate stepwise Cox regression analyses to identify survival prognostic factors. We used 75% of randomly sampled data to build a prediction model for survival, and the remaining 25% of data to validate the model. Results: From 1993 to 1999, 1,436 patients with stage IV or IIIB NSCLC with effusion were treated with platinum-based doublets (involving either paclitaxel, docetaxel, or gemcitabine). The response rate and median survival time were 20% and 8.2 months, respectively. One- and 2-year survivals were 33% and 11%, respectively. In multivariate analysis, six independent poor prognostic factors were identified: skin metastasis (hazard ratio [HR], 1.88), lower performance status (ECOG 1 or 2; HR, 1.46), loss of appetite (HR, 1.62), liver metastasis (HR, 1.32), > four metastatic sites (HR, 1.20), and no prior surgery (HR, 1.16). A nomogram using six pretreatment prognostic factors was built to predict 1- and 2-year survival. Conclusion: Six pretreatment factors can be used to predict survival in chemotherapy-naive NSCLC patients treated with standard chemotherapy. Using our prognostic nomogram, 1- and 2-year survival probability of NSCLC patients can be estimated before treatment. This prognostic model may help clinicians and patients in clinical decision making, as well as investigators in research planning.

AB - Purpose: (1) Identify clinical factors that can be used to predict survival in chemotherapy-naive patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC) treated with third-generation chemotherapy regimens, and (2) build a clinical model to predict survival in this patient population. Patients and Methods: Using data from two randomized, phase III Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group (ECOG) trials (E5592/E1594), we performed univariate and multivariate stepwise Cox regression analyses to identify survival prognostic factors. We used 75% of randomly sampled data to build a prediction model for survival, and the remaining 25% of data to validate the model. Results: From 1993 to 1999, 1,436 patients with stage IV or IIIB NSCLC with effusion were treated with platinum-based doublets (involving either paclitaxel, docetaxel, or gemcitabine). The response rate and median survival time were 20% and 8.2 months, respectively. One- and 2-year survivals were 33% and 11%, respectively. In multivariate analysis, six independent poor prognostic factors were identified: skin metastasis (hazard ratio [HR], 1.88), lower performance status (ECOG 1 or 2; HR, 1.46), loss of appetite (HR, 1.62), liver metastasis (HR, 1.32), > four metastatic sites (HR, 1.20), and no prior surgery (HR, 1.16). A nomogram using six pretreatment prognostic factors was built to predict 1- and 2-year survival. Conclusion: Six pretreatment factors can be used to predict survival in chemotherapy-naive NSCLC patients treated with standard chemotherapy. Using our prognostic nomogram, 1- and 2-year survival probability of NSCLC patients can be estimated before treatment. This prognostic model may help clinicians and patients in clinical decision making, as well as investigators in research planning.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=15044352688&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=15044352688&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1200/JCO.2005.04.177

DO - 10.1200/JCO.2005.04.177

M3 - Article

C2 - 15625371

AN - SCOPUS:15044352688

VL - 23

SP - 175

EP - 183

JO - Journal of Clinical Oncology

JF - Journal of Clinical Oncology

SN - 0732-183X

IS - 1

ER -