DNA flow cytometric analysis of clinical stage I endometrial carcinomas with lymph node metastases

Robert L. Coleman, Julian C. Schink, David S. Miller, Kenneth D. Bauer, Carey Z. August, Alfred W. Rademaker, John R. Lurain

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

19 Scopus citations

Abstract

Twenty-one (8%) of 264 consecutive evaluable patients with clinical stage I endometrial carcinoma had histologic evidence of pelvic and/or para-aortic lymph node metastases. Dna flow cytometry was performed on both the primary tumor and nodal metastasis. Seventeen of 21 sets could be analyzed. Overall, 11 (65%) of the primary carcinomas were aneuploid. Nine of 17 (53%) had consistent ploidy patterns when the primary tumor and lymphatic metastasis were compared. The remaining 8 (47%) had aneuploid primaries with diploid nodal metastases. Five (83%) of the 6 patients with diploid primary tumors were alive without evidence of disease compared to 3 of 11 (27%) patients with aneuploid tumors (P < 0.05). Other predictors of disease outcome included tumor histology, lymph vascular space invasion, and depth of myometrial invasion. Ploidy status of the lymphatic metastasis was not important in terms of overall survival. All 8 patients with para-aortic nodal metastases had aneuploid primary carcinomas compared to 4 (44%) of 9 patients with pelvic node involvement only (P < 0.01). Mean survival was 31 months for patients with para-aortic node metastases compared to 51 months for patients with only pelvic node metastases. Comparison of survival curves among these two groups demonstrated a significant survival advantage in patients with regional nodal metastases (P = 0.032). S-phase fraction of both the primary tumor and lymphatic metastasis did not correlate with survival or predict disease outcome. DNA index of the primary tumor, as a continuous variable, was inversely proportional to survival, demonstrating poorer survivorship with incremental increases of DI. Ploidy status of the lymph node metastasis was an inconsistent reflection of the primary tumor’s expression and behavior and, therefore, little additional information was gained by knowledge of the lymphatic ploidy status.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)20-24
Number of pages5
JournalGynecologic oncology
Volume50
Issue number1
DOIs
StatePublished - Jul 1993

    Fingerprint

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Oncology
  • Obstetrics and Gynecology

Cite this

Coleman, R. L., Schink, J. C., Miller, D. S., Bauer, K. D., August, C. Z., Rademaker, A. W., & Lurain, J. R. (1993). DNA flow cytometric analysis of clinical stage I endometrial carcinomas with lymph node metastases. Gynecologic oncology, 50(1), 20-24. https://doi.org/10.1006/gyno.1993.1157