Etiology of Syncope in Patients Hospitalized with Syncope and Predictors of Mortality and Readmission for Syncope at 17-Month Follow-Up: A Prospective Study

Sachin Sule, Chandrasekar Palaniswamy, Wilbert S. Aronow, Sreedhar Adapa, Sahil Khera, Stephen J. Peterson, Chul Ahn, Nivas Balasubramaniyam, Christopher Nabors

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

1 Citation (Scopus)

Abstract

We investigated the etiologies of syncope and risk factors for mortality and rehospitalization for syncope at 17-month follow-up in a prospective study of 242 consecutive patients, mean age 69 years, hospitalized for syncope. The etiologies of syncope included the following: vasovagal syncope in 49 patients (20%), volume depletion in 39 patients (16%), orthostatic hypotension in 13 patients (5%), primary cardiac arrhythmias in 25 patients (10.3%), structural cardiac disease in 6 patients (2%), and drug overdose in 5 patients (2%). The etiology of syncope could not be determined in 84 patients (35%). Of the 242 patients, 6 (2%) were rehospitalized for syncope and 12 (5%) died. Stepwise logistic regression analysis showed that the significant independent prognostic factors for rehospitalization for syncope were drug overdose [odds ratio (OR): 11.506; 95% confidence interval (CI): 1.083 - 22.261]. Stepwise logistic regression analysis showed that significant independent prognostic factors for time to mortality were undetermined etiology of syncope (OR: 4.665; 95% CI: 1.002, 21.727), San Francisco Syncope Score (OR: 3.537; 95% CI: 1.472-8.496), hypertension (OR: 0.099; 95% CI: 0.019-0.504), and glomerular filtration rate (OR: 0.964; 95% CI: 0.937-0.993).

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)e2-e6
JournalAmerican Journal of Therapeutics
Volume23
Issue number1
DOIs
StatePublished - Jan 1 2016

Fingerprint

Syncope
Prospective Studies
Mortality
Odds Ratio
Confidence Intervals
Drug Overdose
Logistic Models
Regression Analysis
Vasovagal Syncope
Orthostatic Hypotension
San Francisco
Glomerular Filtration Rate
Cardiac Arrhythmias
Heart Diseases
Hypertension

Keywords

  • mortality
  • rehospitalization
  • syncope

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Pharmacology
  • Pharmacology (medical)

Cite this

Etiology of Syncope in Patients Hospitalized with Syncope and Predictors of Mortality and Readmission for Syncope at 17-Month Follow-Up : A Prospective Study. / Sule, Sachin; Palaniswamy, Chandrasekar; Aronow, Wilbert S.; Adapa, Sreedhar; Khera, Sahil; Peterson, Stephen J.; Ahn, Chul; Balasubramaniyam, Nivas; Nabors, Christopher.

In: American Journal of Therapeutics, Vol. 23, No. 1, 01.01.2016, p. e2-e6.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Sule, Sachin ; Palaniswamy, Chandrasekar ; Aronow, Wilbert S. ; Adapa, Sreedhar ; Khera, Sahil ; Peterson, Stephen J. ; Ahn, Chul ; Balasubramaniyam, Nivas ; Nabors, Christopher. / Etiology of Syncope in Patients Hospitalized with Syncope and Predictors of Mortality and Readmission for Syncope at 17-Month Follow-Up : A Prospective Study. In: American Journal of Therapeutics. 2016 ; Vol. 23, No. 1. pp. e2-e6.
@article{e2e785fb2a5947318b751ecef1e7e341,
title = "Etiology of Syncope in Patients Hospitalized with Syncope and Predictors of Mortality and Readmission for Syncope at 17-Month Follow-Up: A Prospective Study",
abstract = "We investigated the etiologies of syncope and risk factors for mortality and rehospitalization for syncope at 17-month follow-up in a prospective study of 242 consecutive patients, mean age 69 years, hospitalized for syncope. The etiologies of syncope included the following: vasovagal syncope in 49 patients (20{\%}), volume depletion in 39 patients (16{\%}), orthostatic hypotension in 13 patients (5{\%}), primary cardiac arrhythmias in 25 patients (10.3{\%}), structural cardiac disease in 6 patients (2{\%}), and drug overdose in 5 patients (2{\%}). The etiology of syncope could not be determined in 84 patients (35{\%}). Of the 242 patients, 6 (2{\%}) were rehospitalized for syncope and 12 (5{\%}) died. Stepwise logistic regression analysis showed that the significant independent prognostic factors for rehospitalization for syncope were drug overdose [odds ratio (OR): 11.506; 95{\%} confidence interval (CI): 1.083 - 22.261]. Stepwise logistic regression analysis showed that significant independent prognostic factors for time to mortality were undetermined etiology of syncope (OR: 4.665; 95{\%} CI: 1.002, 21.727), San Francisco Syncope Score (OR: 3.537; 95{\%} CI: 1.472-8.496), hypertension (OR: 0.099; 95{\%} CI: 0.019-0.504), and glomerular filtration rate (OR: 0.964; 95{\%} CI: 0.937-0.993).",
keywords = "mortality, rehospitalization, syncope",
author = "Sachin Sule and Chandrasekar Palaniswamy and Aronow, {Wilbert S.} and Sreedhar Adapa and Sahil Khera and Peterson, {Stephen J.} and Chul Ahn and Nivas Balasubramaniyam and Christopher Nabors",
year = "2016",
month = "1",
day = "1",
doi = "10.1097/MJT.0b013e3182459957",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "23",
pages = "e2--e6",
journal = "American Journal of Therapeutics",
issn = "1075-2765",
publisher = "Lippincott Williams and Wilkins",
number = "1",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Etiology of Syncope in Patients Hospitalized with Syncope and Predictors of Mortality and Readmission for Syncope at 17-Month Follow-Up

T2 - A Prospective Study

AU - Sule, Sachin

AU - Palaniswamy, Chandrasekar

AU - Aronow, Wilbert S.

AU - Adapa, Sreedhar

AU - Khera, Sahil

AU - Peterson, Stephen J.

AU - Ahn, Chul

AU - Balasubramaniyam, Nivas

AU - Nabors, Christopher

PY - 2016/1/1

Y1 - 2016/1/1

N2 - We investigated the etiologies of syncope and risk factors for mortality and rehospitalization for syncope at 17-month follow-up in a prospective study of 242 consecutive patients, mean age 69 years, hospitalized for syncope. The etiologies of syncope included the following: vasovagal syncope in 49 patients (20%), volume depletion in 39 patients (16%), orthostatic hypotension in 13 patients (5%), primary cardiac arrhythmias in 25 patients (10.3%), structural cardiac disease in 6 patients (2%), and drug overdose in 5 patients (2%). The etiology of syncope could not be determined in 84 patients (35%). Of the 242 patients, 6 (2%) were rehospitalized for syncope and 12 (5%) died. Stepwise logistic regression analysis showed that the significant independent prognostic factors for rehospitalization for syncope were drug overdose [odds ratio (OR): 11.506; 95% confidence interval (CI): 1.083 - 22.261]. Stepwise logistic regression analysis showed that significant independent prognostic factors for time to mortality were undetermined etiology of syncope (OR: 4.665; 95% CI: 1.002, 21.727), San Francisco Syncope Score (OR: 3.537; 95% CI: 1.472-8.496), hypertension (OR: 0.099; 95% CI: 0.019-0.504), and glomerular filtration rate (OR: 0.964; 95% CI: 0.937-0.993).

AB - We investigated the etiologies of syncope and risk factors for mortality and rehospitalization for syncope at 17-month follow-up in a prospective study of 242 consecutive patients, mean age 69 years, hospitalized for syncope. The etiologies of syncope included the following: vasovagal syncope in 49 patients (20%), volume depletion in 39 patients (16%), orthostatic hypotension in 13 patients (5%), primary cardiac arrhythmias in 25 patients (10.3%), structural cardiac disease in 6 patients (2%), and drug overdose in 5 patients (2%). The etiology of syncope could not be determined in 84 patients (35%). Of the 242 patients, 6 (2%) were rehospitalized for syncope and 12 (5%) died. Stepwise logistic regression analysis showed that the significant independent prognostic factors for rehospitalization for syncope were drug overdose [odds ratio (OR): 11.506; 95% confidence interval (CI): 1.083 - 22.261]. Stepwise logistic regression analysis showed that significant independent prognostic factors for time to mortality were undetermined etiology of syncope (OR: 4.665; 95% CI: 1.002, 21.727), San Francisco Syncope Score (OR: 3.537; 95% CI: 1.472-8.496), hypertension (OR: 0.099; 95% CI: 0.019-0.504), and glomerular filtration rate (OR: 0.964; 95% CI: 0.937-0.993).

KW - mortality

KW - rehospitalization

KW - syncope

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=84955462192&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=84955462192&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1097/MJT.0b013e3182459957

DO - 10.1097/MJT.0b013e3182459957

M3 - Article

C2 - 22878409

AN - SCOPUS:84955462192

VL - 23

SP - e2-e6

JO - American Journal of Therapeutics

JF - American Journal of Therapeutics

SN - 1075-2765

IS - 1

ER -