Impact of bead-beating intensity on microbiome recovery in mouse and human stool: Optimization of DNA extraction

Bo Zhang, Matthew Brock, Carlos Arana, Chaitanya Dende, Lora Hooper, Prithvi Raj

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

DNA extraction methods play an important role in the acquisition of accurate and reproducible 16S sequencing data in microbiome studies. In this study, we assessed the impact of bead-beating intensity during DNA extraction on microbiome recovery in mouse and human stool. We observed a higher DNA yield, better DNA integrity, higher Shannon’s entropy and Simpson’s index in samples beaten for 4 and 9 minutes as compared to unbeaten samples. 16S sequencing data showed that bead beating has a statistically-significant (p<0.05) impact on the recovery of many clinically relevant microbes that live in the mouse and human gut, including Bifidobacterium, Sutterella and Veillonella. It was observed that 4 minutes of bead beating promotes recovery of about 70% of OTUs in mouse and human stool, while the remaining 30% requires longer bead beating. In conclusion, our study indicates adjustments in bead beating treatment based on the composition of the specimen and the targeted bacteria.

Original languageEnglish (US)
JournalUnknown Journal
DOIs
StatePublished - Jun 15 2020

Keywords

  • 16S Sequencing
  • Bead beating
  • DNA extraction
  • Microbiome
  • OTU

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Biochemistry, Genetics and Molecular Biology(all)
  • Agricultural and Biological Sciences(all)
  • Immunology and Microbiology(all)
  • Neuroscience(all)
  • Pharmacology, Toxicology and Pharmaceutics(all)

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Impact of bead-beating intensity on microbiome recovery in mouse and human stool: Optimization of DNA extraction'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this