Limited stage small cell lung cancer treated with concurrent hyperfractionated chest radiotherapy and etoposide/cisplatin

Bruce E. Johnson, Catherine Salem, John Nesbitt, Adi F. Gazdar, May Lesar, Ruby Phelps, Margaret Edison, R. Ilona Linnoila, John Phares, Harvey Pass, James L. Mulshine, John D. Minna, Eli Glatstein, Daniel C. Ihde

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

19 Scopus citations

Abstract

Forty-one previously untreated patients with limited-stage small cell lung cancer (SCLC) entered a combined-modality study. Patients were initially treated with etoposide and cisplatin and concurrent chest radiotherapy. Patients then received two more cycles of etoposide/cisplatin followed by four cycles of individualized chemotherapy based on in vitro drug sensitivity testing if available, or a standard regimen of vincristine/doxorubicin/cyclophosphamide. Forty patients have completed therapy and are evaluable for response. Twenty-nine (73%) had a complete response and the remaining 11 (27%) achieved partial response. The median potential follow-up is now 3 years (range 4 months to 5 years). The median projected actuarial survival is 27 months with an actuarial survival of >90% at 1 year and 65% at 2 years. Four of 41 patients (10%) have died from treatment toxicity, including three who died of combined-modality pneumonitis and one of neutropenic sepsis. The median projected actuarial survival is nearly twice as long as in our previous combined-modality treatment regimens for limited-stage small cell lung cancer.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)S21-S26
JournalLung Cancer
Volume9
Issue numberSUPPL. 1
DOIs
StatePublished - Aug 1993

Keywords

  • Concurrent
  • Hyperfractionation
  • Small cell lung cancer

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Oncology
  • Pulmonary and Respiratory Medicine
  • Cancer Research

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Limited stage small cell lung cancer treated with concurrent hyperfractionated chest radiotherapy and etoposide/cisplatin'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this