Regional body fat distribution in HIV-infected patients with lipodystrophy

Warren L. Dinges, Dali Chen, Peter G. Snell, Paul T. Weatherall, Dolores M. Peterson, Abhimanyu Garg

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

16 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Background: Objective criteria for the assessment of patients with lipodystrophy syndrome in human immunodeficiency virus infection (LDHIV) have not emerged. Methods: We compared regional body fat changes in 13 men with severe LDHIV on protease inhibitor-inclusive antiretroviral therapy with 13 control HIV-infected men using anthropometry, dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DEXA), and whole-body magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). Results: LDHIV patients, compared with control subjects, had thinner gluteal, suprailiac, and triceps skinfolds (p < .01) and increased waist circumference (98 ± 5 cm vs 86 ± 9 cm, respectively; p = .0008). DEXA studies revealed reduced lower extremity fat (12 ± 5% vs 22 ± 9%; p = .0006), increased head and neck fat (18 ± 3% vs 16 ± 1%; p = .01), and increased proportion of total body fat in the trunk (65 ± 7% vs 53 ± 8%; p = .0005). MRI analysis revealed reduced thigh fat (12 ± 5% vs 22 ± 12%; p = .01), increased dorsocervical fat depth (47 ± 24 mm vs 19 ± 7 mm; p = .0009), and nearly significant increase in intra-abdominal fat (218 ± 90 cm2 vs 157 ± 70 cm2; p = .057). Interestingly, control subjects showed a positive relationship between intra-abdominal and dorsocervical fat (r = .57, p = .04), but the LDHIV patients showed a negative relationship (r = -.55, p = .05), suggesting a novel split phenotype among LDHIV patients of either dorsocervical or intra-abdominal fat accumulation. Conclusions: We conclude that MRI provides the best tools for definition of LDHIV syndrome and reveals variable phenotypes among LDHIV patients.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)15-25
Number of pages11
JournalJournal of Investigative Medicine
Volume53
Issue number1
StatePublished - Jan 2005

Fingerprint

Body Fat Distribution
Lipodystrophy
Virus Diseases
Viruses
Fats
HIV
Intra-Abdominal Fat
Magnetic resonance
Photon Absorptiometry
Magnetic Resonance Imaging
Imaging techniques
Adipose Tissue
Phenotype
Anthropometry
X rays
Waist Circumference
Thigh
Protease Inhibitors
Lower Extremity
Neck

Keywords

  • Anthropometry
  • Body composition
  • Dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry
  • Lipodystrophy
  • Magnetic resonance imaging

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Biochemistry, Genetics and Molecular Biology(all)

Cite this

Regional body fat distribution in HIV-infected patients with lipodystrophy. / Dinges, Warren L.; Chen, Dali; Snell, Peter G.; Weatherall, Paul T.; Peterson, Dolores M.; Garg, Abhimanyu.

In: Journal of Investigative Medicine, Vol. 53, No. 1, 01.2005, p. 15-25.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Dinges, Warren L. ; Chen, Dali ; Snell, Peter G. ; Weatherall, Paul T. ; Peterson, Dolores M. ; Garg, Abhimanyu. / Regional body fat distribution in HIV-infected patients with lipodystrophy. In: Journal of Investigative Medicine. 2005 ; Vol. 53, No. 1. pp. 15-25.
@article{763d40c7c7fe4308adb94bd4a2f2c83d,
title = "Regional body fat distribution in HIV-infected patients with lipodystrophy",
abstract = "Background: Objective criteria for the assessment of patients with lipodystrophy syndrome in human immunodeficiency virus infection (LDHIV) have not emerged. Methods: We compared regional body fat changes in 13 men with severe LDHIV on protease inhibitor-inclusive antiretroviral therapy with 13 control HIV-infected men using anthropometry, dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DEXA), and whole-body magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). Results: LDHIV patients, compared with control subjects, had thinner gluteal, suprailiac, and triceps skinfolds (p < .01) and increased waist circumference (98 ± 5 cm vs 86 ± 9 cm, respectively; p = .0008). DEXA studies revealed reduced lower extremity fat (12 ± 5{\%} vs 22 ± 9{\%}; p = .0006), increased head and neck fat (18 ± 3{\%} vs 16 ± 1{\%}; p = .01), and increased proportion of total body fat in the trunk (65 ± 7{\%} vs 53 ± 8{\%}; p = .0005). MRI analysis revealed reduced thigh fat (12 ± 5{\%} vs 22 ± 12{\%}; p = .01), increased dorsocervical fat depth (47 ± 24 mm vs 19 ± 7 mm; p = .0009), and nearly significant increase in intra-abdominal fat (218 ± 90 cm2 vs 157 ± 70 cm2; p = .057). Interestingly, control subjects showed a positive relationship between intra-abdominal and dorsocervical fat (r = .57, p = .04), but the LDHIV patients showed a negative relationship (r = -.55, p = .05), suggesting a novel split phenotype among LDHIV patients of either dorsocervical or intra-abdominal fat accumulation. Conclusions: We conclude that MRI provides the best tools for definition of LDHIV syndrome and reveals variable phenotypes among LDHIV patients.",
keywords = "Anthropometry, Body composition, Dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry, Lipodystrophy, Magnetic resonance imaging",
author = "Dinges, {Warren L.} and Dali Chen and Snell, {Peter G.} and Weatherall, {Paul T.} and Peterson, {Dolores M.} and Abhimanyu Garg",
year = "2005",
month = "1",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "53",
pages = "15--25",
journal = "Journal of Investigative Medicine",
issn = "1081-5589",
publisher = "Lippincott Williams and Wilkins",
number = "1",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Regional body fat distribution in HIV-infected patients with lipodystrophy

AU - Dinges, Warren L.

AU - Chen, Dali

AU - Snell, Peter G.

AU - Weatherall, Paul T.

AU - Peterson, Dolores M.

AU - Garg, Abhimanyu

PY - 2005/1

Y1 - 2005/1

N2 - Background: Objective criteria for the assessment of patients with lipodystrophy syndrome in human immunodeficiency virus infection (LDHIV) have not emerged. Methods: We compared regional body fat changes in 13 men with severe LDHIV on protease inhibitor-inclusive antiretroviral therapy with 13 control HIV-infected men using anthropometry, dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DEXA), and whole-body magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). Results: LDHIV patients, compared with control subjects, had thinner gluteal, suprailiac, and triceps skinfolds (p < .01) and increased waist circumference (98 ± 5 cm vs 86 ± 9 cm, respectively; p = .0008). DEXA studies revealed reduced lower extremity fat (12 ± 5% vs 22 ± 9%; p = .0006), increased head and neck fat (18 ± 3% vs 16 ± 1%; p = .01), and increased proportion of total body fat in the trunk (65 ± 7% vs 53 ± 8%; p = .0005). MRI analysis revealed reduced thigh fat (12 ± 5% vs 22 ± 12%; p = .01), increased dorsocervical fat depth (47 ± 24 mm vs 19 ± 7 mm; p = .0009), and nearly significant increase in intra-abdominal fat (218 ± 90 cm2 vs 157 ± 70 cm2; p = .057). Interestingly, control subjects showed a positive relationship between intra-abdominal and dorsocervical fat (r = .57, p = .04), but the LDHIV patients showed a negative relationship (r = -.55, p = .05), suggesting a novel split phenotype among LDHIV patients of either dorsocervical or intra-abdominal fat accumulation. Conclusions: We conclude that MRI provides the best tools for definition of LDHIV syndrome and reveals variable phenotypes among LDHIV patients.

AB - Background: Objective criteria for the assessment of patients with lipodystrophy syndrome in human immunodeficiency virus infection (LDHIV) have not emerged. Methods: We compared regional body fat changes in 13 men with severe LDHIV on protease inhibitor-inclusive antiretroviral therapy with 13 control HIV-infected men using anthropometry, dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DEXA), and whole-body magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). Results: LDHIV patients, compared with control subjects, had thinner gluteal, suprailiac, and triceps skinfolds (p < .01) and increased waist circumference (98 ± 5 cm vs 86 ± 9 cm, respectively; p = .0008). DEXA studies revealed reduced lower extremity fat (12 ± 5% vs 22 ± 9%; p = .0006), increased head and neck fat (18 ± 3% vs 16 ± 1%; p = .01), and increased proportion of total body fat in the trunk (65 ± 7% vs 53 ± 8%; p = .0005). MRI analysis revealed reduced thigh fat (12 ± 5% vs 22 ± 12%; p = .01), increased dorsocervical fat depth (47 ± 24 mm vs 19 ± 7 mm; p = .0009), and nearly significant increase in intra-abdominal fat (218 ± 90 cm2 vs 157 ± 70 cm2; p = .057). Interestingly, control subjects showed a positive relationship between intra-abdominal and dorsocervical fat (r = .57, p = .04), but the LDHIV patients showed a negative relationship (r = -.55, p = .05), suggesting a novel split phenotype among LDHIV patients of either dorsocervical or intra-abdominal fat accumulation. Conclusions: We conclude that MRI provides the best tools for definition of LDHIV syndrome and reveals variable phenotypes among LDHIV patients.

KW - Anthropometry

KW - Body composition

KW - Dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry

KW - Lipodystrophy

KW - Magnetic resonance imaging

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=12744254864&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=12744254864&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Article

VL - 53

SP - 15

EP - 25

JO - Journal of Investigative Medicine

JF - Journal of Investigative Medicine

SN - 1081-5589

IS - 1

ER -