Role of the low density lipoprotein receptor in the flux of cholesterol through the plasma and across the tissues of the mouse

Y. Osono, L. A. Woollett, J. Herz, J. M. Dietschy

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

154 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

These studies were undertaken to quantify cholesterol balance across the plasma space and the individual organs of the mouse, and to determine the role of the low density lipoprotein receptor (LDLR) in these two processes. In the normal mouse (129 Sv), sterol was synthesized at the rate of 153 mg/d per kg body weight of which 78% occurred in the extrahepatic tissues while only 22% took place in the liver. These animals metabolized 7.1 pools of LDL- cholesterol (LDL-C) per day, and 79% of this degradation took place in the liver. Of this total turnover, the LDLR accounted for 88% while the remaining 12% was receptor independent. 91% of the receptor-dependent transport identified in these animals was located in the liver while only 38% of the receptor-independent uptake was found in this organ. When the LDLR was deleted, the LDL-C production rate increased 1.7-fold, LDL-C turnover decreased from 7.1 to 0.88 pools/d, and the plasma LDL-C level increased 14- fold, from 7 to 101 mg/dl. Despite these major changes in the circulating levels of LDL-C, however, there was no change in the rate of cholesterol synthesis in any extrahepatic organ or in the whole animal, and, further, there was no change in the steady-state cholesterol concentration in any organ. Thus, most extrahepatic tissues synthesize their daily sterol requirements while most LDL-C is returned directly to the liver. Changes in LDLR activity, therefore, profoundly alter the plasma LDL-C concentration but have virtually no affect on cholesterol balance across any extrahepatic organ, including the brain.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)1124-1132
Number of pages9
JournalJournal of Clinical Investigation
Volume95
Issue number3
StatePublished - 1995

Fingerprint

LDL Receptors
LDL Cholesterol
Cholesterol
Liver
Sterols
129 Strain Mouse
Body Weight
Brain

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Medicine(all)

Cite this

Role of the low density lipoprotein receptor in the flux of cholesterol through the plasma and across the tissues of the mouse. / Osono, Y.; Woollett, L. A.; Herz, J.; Dietschy, J. M.

In: Journal of Clinical Investigation, Vol. 95, No. 3, 1995, p. 1124-1132.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

@article{6aeae58924dd4b73b76022297fe44389,
title = "Role of the low density lipoprotein receptor in the flux of cholesterol through the plasma and across the tissues of the mouse",
abstract = "These studies were undertaken to quantify cholesterol balance across the plasma space and the individual organs of the mouse, and to determine the role of the low density lipoprotein receptor (LDLR) in these two processes. In the normal mouse (129 Sv), sterol was synthesized at the rate of 153 mg/d per kg body weight of which 78{\%} occurred in the extrahepatic tissues while only 22{\%} took place in the liver. These animals metabolized 7.1 pools of LDL- cholesterol (LDL-C) per day, and 79{\%} of this degradation took place in the liver. Of this total turnover, the LDLR accounted for 88{\%} while the remaining 12{\%} was receptor independent. 91{\%} of the receptor-dependent transport identified in these animals was located in the liver while only 38{\%} of the receptor-independent uptake was found in this organ. When the LDLR was deleted, the LDL-C production rate increased 1.7-fold, LDL-C turnover decreased from 7.1 to 0.88 pools/d, and the plasma LDL-C level increased 14- fold, from 7 to 101 mg/dl. Despite these major changes in the circulating levels of LDL-C, however, there was no change in the rate of cholesterol synthesis in any extrahepatic organ or in the whole animal, and, further, there was no change in the steady-state cholesterol concentration in any organ. Thus, most extrahepatic tissues synthesize their daily sterol requirements while most LDL-C is returned directly to the liver. Changes in LDLR activity, therefore, profoundly alter the plasma LDL-C concentration but have virtually no affect on cholesterol balance across any extrahepatic organ, including the brain.",
author = "Y. Osono and Woollett, {L. A.} and J. Herz and Dietschy, {J. M.}",
year = "1995",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "95",
pages = "1124--1132",
journal = "Journal of Clinical Investigation",
issn = "0021-9738",
publisher = "The American Society for Clinical Investigation",
number = "3",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Role of the low density lipoprotein receptor in the flux of cholesterol through the plasma and across the tissues of the mouse

AU - Osono, Y.

AU - Woollett, L. A.

AU - Herz, J.

AU - Dietschy, J. M.

PY - 1995

Y1 - 1995

N2 - These studies were undertaken to quantify cholesterol balance across the plasma space and the individual organs of the mouse, and to determine the role of the low density lipoprotein receptor (LDLR) in these two processes. In the normal mouse (129 Sv), sterol was synthesized at the rate of 153 mg/d per kg body weight of which 78% occurred in the extrahepatic tissues while only 22% took place in the liver. These animals metabolized 7.1 pools of LDL- cholesterol (LDL-C) per day, and 79% of this degradation took place in the liver. Of this total turnover, the LDLR accounted for 88% while the remaining 12% was receptor independent. 91% of the receptor-dependent transport identified in these animals was located in the liver while only 38% of the receptor-independent uptake was found in this organ. When the LDLR was deleted, the LDL-C production rate increased 1.7-fold, LDL-C turnover decreased from 7.1 to 0.88 pools/d, and the plasma LDL-C level increased 14- fold, from 7 to 101 mg/dl. Despite these major changes in the circulating levels of LDL-C, however, there was no change in the rate of cholesterol synthesis in any extrahepatic organ or in the whole animal, and, further, there was no change in the steady-state cholesterol concentration in any organ. Thus, most extrahepatic tissues synthesize their daily sterol requirements while most LDL-C is returned directly to the liver. Changes in LDLR activity, therefore, profoundly alter the plasma LDL-C concentration but have virtually no affect on cholesterol balance across any extrahepatic organ, including the brain.

AB - These studies were undertaken to quantify cholesterol balance across the plasma space and the individual organs of the mouse, and to determine the role of the low density lipoprotein receptor (LDLR) in these two processes. In the normal mouse (129 Sv), sterol was synthesized at the rate of 153 mg/d per kg body weight of which 78% occurred in the extrahepatic tissues while only 22% took place in the liver. These animals metabolized 7.1 pools of LDL- cholesterol (LDL-C) per day, and 79% of this degradation took place in the liver. Of this total turnover, the LDLR accounted for 88% while the remaining 12% was receptor independent. 91% of the receptor-dependent transport identified in these animals was located in the liver while only 38% of the receptor-independent uptake was found in this organ. When the LDLR was deleted, the LDL-C production rate increased 1.7-fold, LDL-C turnover decreased from 7.1 to 0.88 pools/d, and the plasma LDL-C level increased 14- fold, from 7 to 101 mg/dl. Despite these major changes in the circulating levels of LDL-C, however, there was no change in the rate of cholesterol synthesis in any extrahepatic organ or in the whole animal, and, further, there was no change in the steady-state cholesterol concentration in any organ. Thus, most extrahepatic tissues synthesize their daily sterol requirements while most LDL-C is returned directly to the liver. Changes in LDLR activity, therefore, profoundly alter the plasma LDL-C concentration but have virtually no affect on cholesterol balance across any extrahepatic organ, including the brain.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0028929262&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0028929262&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Article

VL - 95

SP - 1124

EP - 1132

JO - Journal of Clinical Investigation

JF - Journal of Clinical Investigation

SN - 0021-9738

IS - 3

ER -