We analyzed expression status of the recently identified tumor suppressor gene RASSF1A in primary prostate carcinomas and in prostate cell lines. We found complete methylation of the RASSF1A promoter in 63% of primary microdissected prostate carcinomas (7 of 11 samples). The remaining 4 samples (37%) were partially methylated, possibly because of contamination with normal cells. No promoter methylation was observed in matching normal prostate tissues. High levels of RASSF1A transcript and no methylation of RASSF1A promoter were found in explanted primary normal prostate epithelial and stromal cells. Complete silencing and methylation of RASSF1A promoter was observed in five widely used prostate carcinoma cell lines, which acquired the ability to grow in culture spontaneously, including LNCaP, P\C-3, ND-1, DU-145, 22Rv1, and one primary prostate carcinoma immortalized by overexpression of the human telomerase catalytic subunit (RC-58T/hTERT). However, no silencing of RASSF1A was found in four other prostate carcinoma cell lines, which were adapted for cell culture after transformation with human papillomaviral DNA. Suppression of cell growth in vitro was demonstrated after the reintroduction of RASSF1A-expressing construct into LNCaP prostate carcinoma cells. Our data implicate the RASSF1A gene in human prostate tumorigenesis.
|Original language||English (US)|
|Number of pages||5|
|State||Published - Jun 15 2002|
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Cancer Research