Value of permanent pathology for debulk and Mohs specimens during Mohs micrographic surgery for cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma : A retrospective cohort study. / Nemeh, Michael N.; Srivastava, Divya; Nijhawan, Rajiv I.In: Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, 2022.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review
TY - JOUR
T1 - Value of permanent pathology for debulk and Mohs specimens during Mohs micrographic surgery for cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma
T2 - A retrospective cohort study
AU - Nemeh, Michael N.
AU - Srivastava, Divya
AU - Nijhawan, Rajiv I.
N1 - Funding Information: Of 3900 cSCCs treated, 78 (2.0%) tumors were submitted for debulk analysis (Supplementary Table I, available via Mendeley at xxx). Of these, a total of 47 (60%) were upstaged (Supplementary Table II, available via Mendeley at xxx). 29 of 47 (62%) were upstaged by MMS, but not on debulk analysis, and 14/47 (30%) were upstaged by debulk analysis, but not MMS frozen sections. Four of 47 (9%) were upstaged on both MMS section and debulk analysis. Therefore, debulk analysis may reveal upstaging 18% of the time (14 out of 78 tumors) independent of MMS sections. Upstaged tumors were more likely to have large caliber PNI (P < .001). Patients with upstaged tumors were significantly more likely to be referred for adjuvant radiation (P = .012). Only these factors were significantly associated with upstaging. This study supports the use of permanent pathology analysis for select high-risk lesions treated with MMS for accurate staging and to guide management. Further prospective studies are needed to define when debulks should be sent in cSCC for staging. Funding sources: None.
PY - 2022
Y1 - 2022
UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=85140404527&partnerID=8YFLogxK
UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=85140404527&partnerID=8YFLogxK
U2 - 10.1016/j.jaad.2022.06.1168
DO - 10.1016/j.jaad.2022.06.1168
M3 - Article
C2 - 35753550
AN - SCOPUS:85140404527
JO - Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology
JF - Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology
SN - 0190-9622