Breast reduction in gigantomastia using the posterosuperior pedicle: An alternative technique, based on preservation of the anterior intercostal artery perforators

Ali Mojallal, Michel Moutran, Christo Shipkov, Michel Saint-Cyr, Rod J. Rohrich, Fabienne Braye

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

12 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Background: The purpose of this study was to describe and evaluate the outcomes of breast reduction in cases of gigantomastia using a posterosuperior pedicle. Methods: Four hundred thirty-one breast reductions were performed between 2004 and 2007. Fifty patients of 431 (11.6 percent) responded to the inclusion criteria (>1000 g of tissue removed per breast (100 breasts). The mean age was 33.2 years (range, 17 to 58 years). The average notch-to-nipple distance was 37.9 cm (range, 35 to 46 cm). The mean body mass index was 27 (range, 22 to 35 cm). The technique of the posterosuperior pedicle was used, in which the perforators from fourth anterior intercostal arteries are preserved (posterior pedicle). Results were evaluated by means of self-evaluation at 1 year postoperatively. Results: The average weight resected was 1231 g (range, 1000 to 2500 g). The length of hospital stay was 2.3 days (range 2 to 4 days). Thirty seven patients evaluated their results as "very good" (74 percent), nine as "good" (18 percent), and four as "acceptable" (8 percent). There were no "poor" results. The chief complaint was insufficient breast reduction (four patients), despite the considerable improvement in their daily life (8 percent). Back pain totally resolved in 46 percent and partially (with significant improvement) in 54 percent of cases. One major and seven minor complications were recorded. Conclusions: The posterosuperior pedicle for breast reduction is a reproducible and versatile technique. The preservation of the anterior intercostal artery perforators enhances the reliability of the vascular supply to the superior pedicle.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)32-43
Number of pages12
JournalPlastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Volume125
Issue number1
DOIs
StatePublished - Jan 2010

Fingerprint

Breast
Arteries
Length of Stay
Diagnostic Self Evaluation
Nipples
Back Pain
Blood Vessels
Gigantomastia
Body Mass Index
Weights and Measures

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Surgery

Cite this

Breast reduction in gigantomastia using the posterosuperior pedicle : An alternative technique, based on preservation of the anterior intercostal artery perforators. / Mojallal, Ali; Moutran, Michel; Shipkov, Christo; Saint-Cyr, Michel; Rohrich, Rod J.; Braye, Fabienne.

In: Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Vol. 125, No. 1, 01.2010, p. 32-43.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Mojallal, Ali ; Moutran, Michel ; Shipkov, Christo ; Saint-Cyr, Michel ; Rohrich, Rod J. ; Braye, Fabienne. / Breast reduction in gigantomastia using the posterosuperior pedicle : An alternative technique, based on preservation of the anterior intercostal artery perforators. In: Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2010 ; Vol. 125, No. 1. pp. 32-43.
@article{6559ab5e51db406f83f31d8a66d85ef2,
title = "Breast reduction in gigantomastia using the posterosuperior pedicle: An alternative technique, based on preservation of the anterior intercostal artery perforators",
abstract = "Background: The purpose of this study was to describe and evaluate the outcomes of breast reduction in cases of gigantomastia using a posterosuperior pedicle. Methods: Four hundred thirty-one breast reductions were performed between 2004 and 2007. Fifty patients of 431 (11.6 percent) responded to the inclusion criteria (>1000 g of tissue removed per breast (100 breasts). The mean age was 33.2 years (range, 17 to 58 years). The average notch-to-nipple distance was 37.9 cm (range, 35 to 46 cm). The mean body mass index was 27 (range, 22 to 35 cm). The technique of the posterosuperior pedicle was used, in which the perforators from fourth anterior intercostal arteries are preserved (posterior pedicle). Results were evaluated by means of self-evaluation at 1 year postoperatively. Results: The average weight resected was 1231 g (range, 1000 to 2500 g). The length of hospital stay was 2.3 days (range 2 to 4 days). Thirty seven patients evaluated their results as {"}very good{"} (74 percent), nine as {"}good{"} (18 percent), and four as {"}acceptable{"} (8 percent). There were no {"}poor{"} results. The chief complaint was insufficient breast reduction (four patients), despite the considerable improvement in their daily life (8 percent). Back pain totally resolved in 46 percent and partially (with significant improvement) in 54 percent of cases. One major and seven minor complications were recorded. Conclusions: The posterosuperior pedicle for breast reduction is a reproducible and versatile technique. The preservation of the anterior intercostal artery perforators enhances the reliability of the vascular supply to the superior pedicle.",
author = "Ali Mojallal and Michel Moutran and Christo Shipkov and Michel Saint-Cyr and Rohrich, {Rod J.} and Fabienne Braye",
year = "2010",
month = "1",
doi = "10.1097/PRS.0b013e3181c49561",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "125",
pages = "32--43",
journal = "Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery",
issn = "0032-1052",
publisher = "Lippincott Williams and Wilkins",
number = "1",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Breast reduction in gigantomastia using the posterosuperior pedicle

T2 - An alternative technique, based on preservation of the anterior intercostal artery perforators

AU - Mojallal, Ali

AU - Moutran, Michel

AU - Shipkov, Christo

AU - Saint-Cyr, Michel

AU - Rohrich, Rod J.

AU - Braye, Fabienne

PY - 2010/1

Y1 - 2010/1

N2 - Background: The purpose of this study was to describe and evaluate the outcomes of breast reduction in cases of gigantomastia using a posterosuperior pedicle. Methods: Four hundred thirty-one breast reductions were performed between 2004 and 2007. Fifty patients of 431 (11.6 percent) responded to the inclusion criteria (>1000 g of tissue removed per breast (100 breasts). The mean age was 33.2 years (range, 17 to 58 years). The average notch-to-nipple distance was 37.9 cm (range, 35 to 46 cm). The mean body mass index was 27 (range, 22 to 35 cm). The technique of the posterosuperior pedicle was used, in which the perforators from fourth anterior intercostal arteries are preserved (posterior pedicle). Results were evaluated by means of self-evaluation at 1 year postoperatively. Results: The average weight resected was 1231 g (range, 1000 to 2500 g). The length of hospital stay was 2.3 days (range 2 to 4 days). Thirty seven patients evaluated their results as "very good" (74 percent), nine as "good" (18 percent), and four as "acceptable" (8 percent). There were no "poor" results. The chief complaint was insufficient breast reduction (four patients), despite the considerable improvement in their daily life (8 percent). Back pain totally resolved in 46 percent and partially (with significant improvement) in 54 percent of cases. One major and seven minor complications were recorded. Conclusions: The posterosuperior pedicle for breast reduction is a reproducible and versatile technique. The preservation of the anterior intercostal artery perforators enhances the reliability of the vascular supply to the superior pedicle.

AB - Background: The purpose of this study was to describe and evaluate the outcomes of breast reduction in cases of gigantomastia using a posterosuperior pedicle. Methods: Four hundred thirty-one breast reductions were performed between 2004 and 2007. Fifty patients of 431 (11.6 percent) responded to the inclusion criteria (>1000 g of tissue removed per breast (100 breasts). The mean age was 33.2 years (range, 17 to 58 years). The average notch-to-nipple distance was 37.9 cm (range, 35 to 46 cm). The mean body mass index was 27 (range, 22 to 35 cm). The technique of the posterosuperior pedicle was used, in which the perforators from fourth anterior intercostal arteries are preserved (posterior pedicle). Results were evaluated by means of self-evaluation at 1 year postoperatively. Results: The average weight resected was 1231 g (range, 1000 to 2500 g). The length of hospital stay was 2.3 days (range 2 to 4 days). Thirty seven patients evaluated their results as "very good" (74 percent), nine as "good" (18 percent), and four as "acceptable" (8 percent). There were no "poor" results. The chief complaint was insufficient breast reduction (four patients), despite the considerable improvement in their daily life (8 percent). Back pain totally resolved in 46 percent and partially (with significant improvement) in 54 percent of cases. One major and seven minor complications were recorded. Conclusions: The posterosuperior pedicle for breast reduction is a reproducible and versatile technique. The preservation of the anterior intercostal artery perforators enhances the reliability of the vascular supply to the superior pedicle.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=75149135353&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=75149135353&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1097/PRS.0b013e3181c49561

DO - 10.1097/PRS.0b013e3181c49561

M3 - Article

C2 - 20048594

AN - SCOPUS:75149135353

VL - 125

SP - 32

EP - 43

JO - Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery

JF - Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery

SN - 0032-1052

IS - 1

ER -